Wednesday 13 June 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)


For his directorial début Rupert Sanders delivers a very dark take on the classic Snow White story. Though there is little in common with most Snow White stories, it does hit specific plot points; wicked witch (Ravenna, Charlize Theron), poisoned apple, and dwarves. Initially imprisoned by Ravenna, Snow White (Kristen Stewart) escapes, then with the help of the Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) makes her way to her Uncle's castle, whereupon she returns with an army to overthrow Ravenna's cruel rule.

First of all I must say that the film looks fantastic. The costumes are all fantastic, down to the little details on Ravenna's dresses; there are many beautiful exterior locations giving the film a real epic feel; and some of the visual effects were amazing. In particular the dark army at the beginning of the movie is brilliantly realised, the way Ravenna exploded into Ravens is great, a cool troll, and the dwarves were amazing.

Where the film falls flat is in some of the cast, namely Kristen Stewart; she just doesn't have the charisma to pull off a main role like this. She is wooden and just looks uncomfortable for most of the film, not least when she gives her morale-rousing speech for the army - Theoden this is not! Actually half way through the film I found myself thinking "Has she actually really said very much?" Charlize Theron is a good actress, and her Ravenna is good; though having seen Eva Green's performance as Morgan in Camelot, I thought that she would have been a much better Ravenna. The other main character is Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman, and thank goodness for him; he is the one character we really care about. His Huntsman is gritty, initially of questionable loyalty, and has great wilderness survival skills; so Aragorn basically. To continue the LOTR theme, I noticed that Snow White seemed to have the Tree of Gondor on her shield! The supporting cast are fine, including Sam Spruell as Ravenna's brother Finn and Vincent Regan as Snow White's Uncle, Duke Hammond. The Dwarves are also good, the likes of Ian McShane, Bob Hoskins, Ray Winstone and Nick Frost having their faces digitally imposed onto small actors.

An entertaining romp that looks amazing, and far enough removed from the classic fairy tale for miserable uncultured people like me to enjoy it. Going for it are some sumptuous visuals, a tremendous scale of production and a rousing score by James Newton Howard; against it are a few below par performances, especially from Kristen Stewart who just isn't right for this kind of role.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree about Kristen Stewart. She acts like she has bees in her ears and is mildly irritated by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate saying LOL when I'm actually am, but cover me in eggs and flour and bake me for 40 minutes if that isn't the best description of Kristen Stewart's acting I've ever heard!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Thanks. I thought of it while I was watching Snow White. My GF wont believe me but it's mine.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this one. Like you, the only thing that let me down, was Kristen Stewart's face. Poor, poor choice for Snow White. I didn't want to get behind her at all. She just doesn't have any charisma.

    I was a little disappointed with the score. I listened to it on its own after I saw the film and it just didn't stay with me.

    If it hadn't been for Charlize and Chris, this definitely would have fell flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'm still laughing at Tom's description of Kristen Stewart's acting! Just found the score on Spotify, so I'll give it a listen again. Maybe it's not that fantastic but I remember it complementing the scenery and scale of the film very well.

      Delete