Wednesday 18 January 2012

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)



Holmes and Watson are trying to solve another mystery; this time investigating what appears to be a series of unconnected bombings, but which eventually put them on the trail of Holmes' nemesis: professor James Moriarty. Just like last time, Holmes uses some very unorthodox approaches to solve the case, but unlike last time the banter between Downey Jr and Jude Law just isn't the same which I think made the whole film feel a little flat. Director Guy Ritchie made an effort to make this film even funnier than the last, but I don't think I really laughed once. No, sorry, the state that Watson turns up to his wedding in made me snigger; but this isn't funny or necessary:


Despite Holmes having to try and outsmart Moriarty, I just found the story quite boring. I don't know why, because thinking back it sounds like it should be quite exciting, but it just seemed to really trundle along. Perhaps I was spoiled by having seen BBC's Sherlock (fantastic btw), which also sees Sherlock pitted against Moriarty in the climactic episode; but unlike Game of Shadows it is superbly crafted, impeccably acted, and fascinating & intriguing from start to finish. There is quite a cool action set piece about 2/3 of the way through the film, as lots of heavy artillery are used to try and destroy Sherlock and Watson as they flee through some woods; however, the sequence felt a bit shoe-horned in rather than flowing naturally.

Noomi Rapace is interesting as the gypsy Madam Simza Heron, she is probably the most developed character in the film; having said that Jared Harris' portrayal of Moriarty is also very good. Stephen Fry makes an appearance as a rather eccentric Mycroft Holmes. Again, both Downey Jr and Jude Law are good, and as before Jude Law comes across better, I think because he doesn't have to force his performance as Downey Jr does. As in the first film, Victorian England (and a lot of Europe this time) looks super, apart from one "night" shot of a train which is very badly done; clearly filmed in broad daylight but filtered to look like night; it stuck out like a sore thumb and it just looked cheap.

Overall I thought that it was a tepid, drawn out adventure, which tried too hard to be funny and exciting, and fell short on both. Guy Ritchie's usual style is clearly on show, but the film lacks the razor sharp banter of some of his earlier work and indeed the first Sherlock film; and his dramatic fight scenes look like a sub-standard imitation of Zack Snyder's quick/slow/quick techniques. I came out of Game of Shadows thinking "Meh".

11 comments:

  1. I think I liked the film more than you did, though I equally disliked the quick/slow/quick over blown action sequences.

    I found the films "I'm smarter than you" attitude annoying. The film would have been better if it didn't have to keep flashing back to show show us all we were too "stupid" to catch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the flashing back bits, I thought at the end there were far too many flashbacks about things we really wouldn't have had a clue of working out; I felt it was a case of "by the way there's all this information that you didn't know, and then there's all this that you didn't know...".

      Delete
  2. Ah, finally, someone else who didn't enjoy this movie as much as everyone else seemed to! I also have a lot of problems with this sequel. The thing is, like you said, it's hard to really pin down exactly what doesn't work about this movie--it should work. It should be exciting. But somehow, it falls on its face. I'm definitely going to have to check out the BBC Sherlock now that you've mentioned it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend BBC's Sherlock; series 2 has only just finished in the UK, but you can get the first series (only 3 x 90 min episodes) on DVD. Benedict Cumberbatch is superb as Sherlock and soon to be Bilbo Martin Freeman is a brilliant Watson. It's a modern day version, created by Steven Moffat, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

      I'm glad you agree with me about Game of Shadows though, it really should work, but ultimately didn't impress me.

      Delete
  3. I pretty much agree with you. This was one of the biggest disappointments of 2011. I adore Guy Ritchie and I also adore Part 1 - but this was just mediocre. Way too long, way too boring, way too many characters, a way too complicated story and a way too over-the-top Sherlock who seemed to be some kinda annoying Superhero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen all of Ritchie's films but I don't think that he did anything better than Lock Stock, or Snatch. Though I did like the first Sherlock, I'm not really sure that Ritchie's style is right for these films.

      Delete
  4. I don't get it... you hated it, but at the same time it is on your top films of 2012? Please, explain. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Fair question George! I have only seen three films at the cinema this year, and Game of Shadows is currently my least favourite. Perhaps it will be still at the bottom after I have seen 10 films. That's the only reason.

      Also, I'm imagining the list only being for new films seen at the cinema this year, rather than any of those that I've seen on TV or DVD. Does that make any logical sense? I'm not sure, I'm not very logical!

      Delete
  5. So I just caught an episode of the BBC Sherlock and...I've just got to say, you were right. I completely understand what you mean--it blows the American Sherlock out of the water. Completely. As much as I love everything about Guy Richie. BRILLIANT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one did you see? We watched the first episode of series 1 last night on DVD; hadn't seen the first series before. Excellent introduction of characters, background to Watson and his first encounter with Sherlock. Glad you liked it, it works surprisingly well in a modern setting doesn't it?

      Delete
    2. It does! I just caught 1x03 "The Great Game", which was...a really damn great game. I don't know how much of a reader you are, but almost reminds me of Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series (they did an okay movie adaptation of "The Bone Collector"). So I might've cheated by watching the series finale, but...STILL. Excellent episode. I'll have to try to catch the others as they air.

      Delete