Tuesday 17 December 2013

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009)



Adapted from the novel by John Godney, The Pelham 123 is a train that leaves Pelham at 1:23 pm, and the taking of it is by a terrorist called Ryder.  I’m not sure whether Tony Scott developed the same affinity with trains later in his career as he has with Denzel Washington, as they were both involved with his next film: the insufferable Unstoppable (2010).  Also starring Denzel Washington, The Taking of Pelham 123 starts as an enjoyable thriller as Washington’s rail network-coordinating character happens to be at his desk when Ryder (John Travolta trying to reprise his Swordfish persona but woefully wayward) hijacks the train.  The banter between these two is lively and really drives the first half of the film, however when Washington sets off to deliver the ransom to Ryder (hindered by some lazy writing and inept police) the plot becomes formulaic and boring.  By the time the climax is reached (with more incompetent police) I really didn’t care how it turned out. But, well, you know, that’s just, like, er, my opinion, man.

4 comments:

  1. Good review Russell. It's a pretty quick movie that may go on longer than it should, but I definitely had a lot of fun with this. And that's weird because I'm usually not a fan of Tony Scott.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Tony Scott films I've seen have been quite enjoyable apart from Unstoppable which was awful. Of course Top Gun is amazing, but I thought that Pelham 123 was half a good film and half a boring average film.

      Delete
  2. I didn't mind this one. Sure, there's not much to it. But it entertained me enough for the duration. Formulaic, but ... harmless fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harmless indeed, I just feel that the second half let the first half down. I feel sorry for the more interesting first half!

      Delete