Sunday 8 January 2012

The Sunday Scene #8 Serenity

This week's Sunday Scene is perhaps a  bit of an indulgence because I think Firefly is so ace, but I really love the steady cam shot at the beginning of Serenity. For those not in the know, Firefly is a pseudo-western Sci-Fi series created by Joss Whedon; however brilliant all the fanboy geeks think it was (and it was), the first series was never completed as the show was cancelled. Serenity is therefore the feature film that finished off the series, tied up all the loosed ends (to an extent), gave the fanboys some closure, and is really good to boot!

At the beginning of my chosen scene there is a perfectly executed blend of CGI, models and a little live action as the camera zooms into Mal and Wash in the cockpit; this is followed by a really cool "intro to the crew" as the camera tracks Mal around the ship trying to calm people down/explain what's going on. This is all done with the same kind of humour that made Firefly so good, and Joss Whedon's script is great as usual for this series.


Of course if you have never seen Serenity or indeed Firefly, then this doesn't mean an awful lot; but if you have any Sci-Fi leaning then I would urge you to go and buy the Firefly box set right now, and Serenity.

I promise that I'll spend a bit more time preparing my Sunday Scene next week, as this was a bit rushed and blurted out!

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant show, brilliant movie, brilliant scene! I can't get enough Firefly in my life, so always indulge, my friend. What I love most about this scene--besides the brilliant CGI bits you pointed out--is the fact that all the Firefly fans are on the edge of their seats waiting to see if this movie is going to hold at all true to the spirit and the humor and the camaraderie of the show...and right off the bat, it's like a good, warm hug from Joss Whedon. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers M. Hufstader, it is great isn't it? It's actually quite a while since I watched either Firefly or Serenity, I feel that I should correct that soon! Looking forward to Whedon's Avengers this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I am so in love with Firefly/Serenity!!! I've actually been rewatching Firefly lately and it never gets old, despite the fact that there are only 12 episodes. If only it hadn't been cancelled, how much more awesome could it have been!

    For one of my film classes in college, I brought in Serenity to show that exact same scene of Mal walking around the ship as an example of a specific filmmaking technique that we admire. I always loved single-take tracking shots so this was the perfect choice (and a chance to show off my fangirlness).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, I wonder whether it is so great because it was cancelled. If it had gone one for many series it might have become stale, probably not though; at least they could have finished one series. Some of the greatest shows had only a few episodes: Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Father Ted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of Firefly because it came up when I was talking to someone about Joss Whedon. Is Serenity based on Firefly or is it just set in the Firefly universe?

    From what I know, I think Firefly would have been something I'd enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire: Firefly is fantastic, you should definitely check it out (only £9 on amazon just now). As the show was cancelled after only a handful of episodes, Whedon made the film Serenity to finish off some of the story arcs, and "complete" the series. So Serenity is all the same characters (Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Adam Baldwin etc), and is every bit as good as Firefly, just a bigger budget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, I see. So the two are very much connected then. I'll let you know when I watch it!

    ReplyDelete