Saturday 5 May 2012

Never Let Me Go (2010)


Never Let Me Go is one of those films that I either don't remember putting on our LoveFilm list, or my wife did. Either way, I knew nothing about it other than Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield were in it. This probably explains why I felt it was so hard-hitting and emotional; if I had known what the story involved I would have been prepared for it. As it was I was completely caught off guard, and the impact of the story was so much more brutal than it would otherwise have been.

I'm not going to mention the plot at all as that would spoil everything. If you don't know the story, keep it that way before you see it. It isn't far into the film that we find out the crux of the plot and from there we kind of know where the film is likely to take us, but that doesn't make it any easier to handle. Carey Mulligan gives a typically mature and excellent performance as Kathy, Andrew Garfield is good as Tommy, and Keira Knightley is OK as Ruth. Actually, Carey Mulligan is perfectly cast as she has really sad eyes, and she often looks like she is about to burst into tears. Her face really is a reflection of the atmosphere of the film as a whole. The relationship between the three main characters is the driving force of the film, and as such the leads all work really well together. If their performances or their chemistry hadn't worked, then the film would not have been as emotional as it was.

A very beautiful yet haunting film, both aspects of which are enhanced by the music which I half expected to have been composed by Warren Ellis and Nick Cave (The Road; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford). Well made and very well acted, Never Let Me Go is definitely worth seeing, just make sure you have someone to cuddle up to near the end.

7 comments:

  1. This was the favorite among all movies I watched in a theatre in 2011. I have the feeling it's a bit overlooked. I can recommend the novel as well. I read it afterwards and liked it as much as I liked the movie. They're very close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica. I don't think it's a film that received much press, but it's worth it I think. I often find that it's worth reading a book after seeing the film; perhaps not ideal, but it rarely works well the other way around.

      Delete
  2. It took me by surprise a bit too. I was expecting a romantic comedy-drama but it was not at all what I was expecting. I thought it was excellent. One of my favourites from 2011 too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expecting a romantic comedy drama? That must have been quite a slap in the face then! It was very good though.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I got to see this at the London Film Festival when it hit that scene and wow, such a moving little film. Carey Mulligan nailed it.

    I went and read the book after I saw the film - highly recommend it. The film does follow the book pretty closely, but there are some extra character details that the film glosses over a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carey Mulligan was great in the role I agree. Sounds like I should check out the book, as you're the second person who has recommended it.

      Delete